In this episode, let's upscale the usual pan-fried chicken fillets by making some blue cheese sauce with mushrooms.
The creamy gravy sauce gives the chicken additional depth and moisture while the blue cheese give a nice sharp contrast to it. The mushrooms add in another type of texture to the bite and umami boost!
- Chicken fillets
- Salt and black pepper
- Aromatic herbs (oregano, thyme, rosemary - this is optional)
- Cooking oil for frying
- Mushrooms (button or assorted)
- Blue cheese (Roquefort)
- Heavy cream
Filleted (and deboned) chicken thighs are the preferred cuts for better texture and it's juicier than the chicken breast.
In the video we used bottle-preserved mushrooms but fresh whole mushrooms are the best if you can source it, because it offers some pleasant earthy, nutty flavors to the dish.
- Dust the chicken fillets with salt, crushed black pepper and herbs on both sides. Set aside.
- Heat some oil in a skillet pan and fry the chicken fillets. Fry until both sides develop a light crust and golden brown in color. When finished frying, set aside the oil and leave just a small amount.
- Sauté the chopped garlic and sliced onions. Add mushrooms. Sauté for another minute or two. Add blue cheese. Pour in the heavy cream. Stir well while bring it to a mild simmer.
- Drop the fried chicken fillets into the sauce. Stir thouroghly to cover the chicken with the gravy sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with parsley and serve.